[xep-support] Multiple-column Page, but Single-Column Footnotes

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Nov 30 14:32:26 PST 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 19:10, David Tolpin wrote:

> actually, this is not so; just the opposite. Most books printed
> with multiple columns have footnotes in the same multi-column
> format.

I do not believe there is any evidence to support
either claim, to be honest. But it is undoubtedly
true that book designs which specify a different number
of columns for footnotes against a multi-column body
are "normal". I have implemented 2 columns of footnotes
on a 3 column body, for instance (though not with FO :-})