[xep-support] docbook xml->pdf wierdness

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Wed Jun 12 12:21:17 PDT 2002

Chris,

> I'm having problems with the XEP Xmlspy plugin
> when trying to convert my docbook files to pdf documents.
> I'm using the doc\docbook\stylesheets\dbx2pdf.xsl stylesheet
> but the last few pages of my pdf are not getting rendered for
> some reason.  Am I even using the right stylesheet for docbook?

The problem is in the version of the XEP plug-in that
you are using. It is an evaluation version, and thus
has the same limitations as the evaluation version
of XEP formatter itself, namely:

- only PDF output is supported;
- a stamp is applied at the lower left corner of each page;
- starting from page 11, all odd pages are blank.

I admit that the documentation accompanying the download
does not state this clearly enough. Please accept our
apologies; we now proceed to improve the docs.

As for the stylesheet itself, it covers only a minimum subset
of DocBook (just enough to format XEP's documentation).
Feel free to use it if it suits your needs; remember however
that there exists a full-fledged DocBook stylesheet created by
Norman Walsh, available from SourceForge:

   http://docbook.sourceforge.net/

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev