[xep-support] Re: Unix Installation

David Tolpin dvd at renderx.com
Thu Jun 13 06:56:40 PDT 2002

> I'm trying to install XEP on a Sun box in the hopes that I
> can get more memory available for XEP, but the installation
> isn't working.  The error message that's coming back
> isn't very informative, but I tried to include whatever
> would be relevant:
>

> $ pwd
> /data/bill
> $ ls
> Setup.class
> $ java -cp . Setup -c
> Enter installation directory [/data/bill/XEP]:
> Error: Can not copy  to
> $ java -version
> java version "1.2.2"
> Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_05a, native threads, sunwjit)
> $

That's because this particular build of JDK is buggy. We encountered the same
problem a few times in the past. 1.2.2_05a is a buggy build. Get eithe a later
1.2.2 build or a recent JDK. It will work.

On the other hand, I don't think that heap larger than 2Gb will work; this is
an inherent limitation of using 32bit integers for pointers.

By the way,  Bill, why are you struggling with the web interface instead of just subscribing
to the list? Or instead of just mailing messages to xep-support at renderx.com
without subscribing to it, if you really hate to be subscribed?

David