[xep-support] Characters not appearing

Wendell Piez wapiez at mulberrytech.com
Thu Jul 4 10:31:51 PDT 2002

Gustaf,

At 01:07 PM 7/4/2002, you wrote:
> >Do I have to find a way to switch fonts to get, e.g. the "right arrow"
> >(x2192) character to appear? The file symbol.fo in the distribution shows
> >me examples of this.
>
>Yes. Since no font contains all characters, you got to switch fonts
>sometimes, and that's what you do with the 'font-family' property. So
>whatever path you choose, there must be a switch of font-family in the FO
>before you feed it to XEP. I know how it feels like putting a <font>
>element into one's DTD, but sometimes it's the best solution. Layout markup
>is markup too. :-)

It's markup to support a particular tool (here, the formatter), but I'm
willing to do this (can do it in a separate layer). What I was hoping to
avoid was the hand work of finding the characters to mark them up. (Now if
the author had used general entities... oh well).

>One bad thing with this approach is that XEP doesn't seem to recognize the
>transparent property of GIF files (haven't tried with TIFF). So I can't use
>special characters in grayed areas for admonitions and such.

As I've discovered ... see separate e-mail....

Thanks,
Wendell

Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez at mulberrytech.com