[xep-support] Exporting page numbers

Gustaf Liljegren gustaf.liljegren at xml.se
Tue Jan 15 11:00:00 PST 2002

Regarding what I wrote earlier tonight. Here's part of a discussion from
September last year about the same thing. I should have responded to this
earlier. I wrote and Nikolai answered:

>> I suggest that you make an extension to XEP that generates a file
>> with a list of word/phrase + page number. This should of course be
>> an option, so that it doesn't slow down processing in cases where
>> you don't need it. I imagine telling XEP the name of an index tag
>> (or possibly hard-coding a name like "rx:index"), and then XEP
>> generates an XML file with a structure like this:

> I think this would be a palliative solution. What we need here is an
> extension element capable of producing index entries _inside the XSL
> FO document_. If anyone has an idea of the functionality that such
> an element must cover, or suggestions about possible syntax, I will
> be glad to discuss it.

I'm not sure if I understand "producing index entries _inside the XSL FO
document_". XEP doesn't generate the FO file, so I take it as if you mean a
writeback function; you feed XEP with an FO and get an FO back. That is, you
run XEP with a certain setting and XEP do the rendering behind the scences,
and replaces all occurences of <fo:page-number-citation> with the real page
number inside an <fo:inline>.

Gustaf