[xep-support] Re: How to do rotated inline graphic

Kevin Brown kevin at renderx.com
Fri Oct 31 09:59:09 PDT 2014

Then you could develop a custom handler that returns he rotated graphic as they are being retrieved from a URL.

There is no provision to rotate an inline object, it’s not clear to me how you would even format that.

I would think it a trivial exercise to run a single program that rotates all of the 5000 PDFs on the server, copying them to something like filename-rotated.pdf. Then you retrieve those. Certainly that is much easier .

Say the graphic in question is 1in high x 14pt wide and you what it rotated 90 in the middle of a paragraph. What do you expect the formatting to do as the image now extends outward by 6 lines? It would format like this. Is that what you are looking for?

Takimata erat at et no. Sanctus takimata aliquyam dolore ea nisl kasd nonummy soluta et eirmod clita magna vero nihil sed et eos eum. Vel elit sit in vulputate elit consectetuer aliquip et zzril sea rebum delenit praesent diam duo at consetetur clita. Sit

hendrerit accusam magna reb  x  at aliquam diam dolores dolores clita. Eos nonumy no consetetur takimata nostrud eirmod eu vero iriure kasd dolor. Duo et ea erat facilisis et eos lorem et. Sea diam justo voluptua veniam rebum. Lorem amet dolor eirmod sed et tempor sit elit esse est lorem invidunt velit ad vulputate. Sit vero est sea ipsum sit diam kasd nonumy eirmod eleifend accusam.

Now, that said – do you know the dimensions of the PDF files? If you *know* the dimensions then you could accomplish this with some minor coding.

1)      Put down any image scaled to your known width and height. Do this so that the formatter takes care of flowing the text properly

2)      Put a pinpoint at each location with the file name that you wish to retrieve

3)      Run that file to intermediate format

4)      Write a program/XSL transform that uses xep:transform which I have posted about before. It would replace the xep:image URL with your PDF file URL and apply xep:transform before and after the image to rotate it,

5)      Run that XSL against the XEP intermediate and then run the result to PDF.

A slightly more advanced solution if you do not know the dimensions would be to format all the PDF images once, just the images into a single XEP Intermediate file, put each into a rotated block container. >From that file you could extract the XEP Intermediate to substitute into the second file created as above, using the known sizes obtained from this file.

Kevin Brown

RenderX