[xep-support] Re: Java 8 Update

Kevin Brown kevin at renderx.com
Wed Nov 12 13:14:24 PST 2014

We just tested VDPMill with the same document on the same machine. VDPMill
can split and merge back together at a configurable package size. The
individual "chunks" of documents can be run simultaneously in threads of
rendering, joining together results into a single output PDF.

Java 7: 91.24 pages/second
Java 8: 124.23 pages/second

This was running VDPMill connected to XEP through Java API as the rendering
engine. VDPMill can be placed on top of EnMasse to spread the load further
on that machine or even on multiple machines using TCP communication from
VDPMill to underlying threads of RenderX XEP. In the current configuration
with only a single XEP local, the CPU reached about 33% utilization. Based
on past performance, this mean that this would approach 160-180 pages/second
under EnMasse on this machine with VDPMill.

Again, a smaller but noticeable performance boost when switching to Java 8
over Java 7.
Java 7 from Java 6 saw about the same boost in performance.

Kevin Brown
(650) 327-1000 Direct
(650) 328-8008 Fax
(925) 395-1772 Mobile