[xep-support] Re: Line breaking at a hyphen mark

Kevin Brown kevin at renderx.com
Wed Aug 6 12:25:13 PDT 2014

Without a sample, it's hard to see what exactly you desire.

Certainly there is no design in the engine to automatically insert the start
hyphen on the trailing line, it can and does at the break on the end of the
line, but not at the start of the following line.

  Hyphena-

-tion

I drew in this fashion as typically the hyphens would be outside the bounds
of the flow, not inside.

If you are inserting them manually, why not just insert a linefeed, followed
an inline with negative padding if you wish it to be inside the left margin?

So I do not understand I guess.

If you wish them "automatically" when hyphenation occurs, I am not sure
there is even a solution even in modification of the intermediate format.
One would need to search and find all places hyphenation was inserted and
insert something on the next line . which becomes difficult in understanding
"next line" especially in tables or across pages.

Kevin Brown

RenderX