[xep-support] Re: Creating embedded index in PDF for faster searching?

Mark Giffin mgiffin at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 30 17:56:09 PDT 2014

I don't think Word can do this. Adobe Acrobat Professional can do this
and I agree, the index it produces is vastly faster, and it will also
index a whole bunch of separate PDF files in one index. It's an old
feature (used to be called "Catalog") that Adobe doesn't seem to talk
about anymore. If you want to automate it you might look at Adobe
ExtendScript for Acrobat. ExtendScript is Adobe's JavaScript-based
scripting language for products like Photoshop, FrameMaker etc. but I
don't know if Acrobat supports it. But if it does you could probably
write a small script to kick off this Catalog indexing, and if you're
really lucky there may be a way to kick it off from the command line, so
you could incorporate it into your PDF build process.

Mark Giffin
http://markgiffin.com/

On 4/30/14 5:13 PM, David Clunie wrote:
> That's a bit disappointing. If Word can do it, it would be nice
> if RenderX could too (as a post-processing step if necessary),
> since doing it manually in Acrobat afterwards is painful, and
> I couldn't find a command line tool to do it.
>
> David
>
> On 4/20/14 5:45 PM, Kevin Brown wrote:
>> This is not supported by RenderX and there are no plans to add it.
>> This is
>> an operation best performed after the entire document is created and not
>> "as" it is being created.
>>

>> Kevin Brown
>> (650) 327-1000 Direct
>> (650) 328-8008 Fax