[xep-support] Re: Question on Cover Page

Kevin Brown kevin at renderx.com
Mon Nov 11 10:58:38 PST 2013

> I want to avoid this. I've wasted far too much time already trying to make DocBook work.

That is nothing to do with Docbook. It is pure XSL FO.
You would, based on that solution, have no content on the page. A background-image inside of region-before does not constitute "content" on the page as running headers/footers occur for pages that have content.

If you only insert a header into a document and then render it (nothing in the flow). You would get just what you asked for ... nothing. A "blank" page would be collapsed.

Given that, you could just create a page with no region-before, no region-after and a region-body with no margins. Then just insert your background-page in the flow as:

<block line-height="0"><external-graphic src="yourcover.pdf"/></block>

You need the line-height for that block set to "0" to ensure fit of the PDF.

Either of the above are done customizing fo/titlepage.templates.xml as described here:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/HTMLTitlePage.html

or here:

http://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-editorEclipse/tasks/docbook-pdf-output-customization.html

Even if you could convert you Word/ODT document to FO (and you haven’t looked hard because these things also exist), it would not help you (in fact in would be more difficult that the steps above) unless you plan to hand edit FO before sending to a formatting engine (sticking your custom FO inside another). You only need to edit the titlepage.template.xml in Docbook to remove all the content and replace it with your image.

Kevin Brown