[xep-support] Re: Where to put true-type fonts?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 22:26:01 PST 2013

Kevin,

This is an absolutely miserable experience.

Would it be possible to have RenderX add a test case for the circle
characters to its engineering process? For example, Circle-A is
0x24B6. The entire character set is located at
http://www.iam.uni-bonn.de/~alt/html/unicode_170.html.

Also, x4u is broken when installed /usr/local. Launching it with
`gksudo /usr/local/RenderX/XEP/x4u` results in a blank window. See
http://postimg.org/image/46jcczu1h/.

The parser for the xep.xml file is broken. Leave off the trailing
slash ("/") and notice what happens (the training path is dropped,
which results in BadFontDataException):

             label="Windows TrueType" embed="true" subset="true">

[error] Cannot read font metric from file:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/Arial.ttf
[error] java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/Arial.ttf (No such file or directory)
error: formatting failed: com.renderx.fonts.BadFontDataException:
Could not obtain font metric for font family 'Arial'

Also, a feature to add an existing font directory would be sorely
welcomed. I amazed at the difficulty of using fonts. Its a throwback
to the 1990s.

Sorry to ask. I could not find a link to the bug reporter.

Jeff