[xep-support] PDF attachments blocked as spam

Darren Munt darrenm at ardex.com.au
Tue Dec 10 21:31:22 PST 2013

We've had a couple of users complain that PDFs that we produce using RenderX are being blocked in emails by MailMarshal. It's the first I've heard of the issue but I wondered if what we have been told by one of the IT people from the client is accurate:

==
The files attached did not contain a known finger print for Adobe PDF file type.

For example, if you created a .docx file in Microsoft Word and saved it, the document would contain a finger print in the Hexadecimal code of the file that identifies it as a Microsoft Word document. Our MailMarshal Spam Server (and presumably other Spam systems) check the finger print of every file received, to verify that the attachment is what is says it is. Another example would be...  a .exe file would contain a .exe finger print, should the file be renamed to .zip, our Anti Spam system would block the attachment as it contained a .exe finger print.
==

They say they had to add a new file type to the MailMarshal config. They did this by creating a new 'finger print' from the first couple of hundred bytes of the files, which they have observed don't change, and subsequently files are accepted. The inference is that the PDFs we are creating are not in the format recognised by MailMarshal.

Is there some configuration we need to do that has been overlooked?

!DSPAM:87,52a7f8b89851456241067!