[xep-support] Re: Creating a PDX file

Kevin Brown kevin at renderx.com
Wed Mar 28 13:00:51 PDT 2012

Trevor:

You can refer to
http://pdf.editme.com/files/pdfrefNewFeatures/Adobe%20Extensions%20to%20ISO%
2032000-1.pdf

See section 13.7 Rich Media

I have only seen special 3D models or Flash-based widgets. This differs from
the core XEP product which allows for a multi-media application inserted
into a container. Inserting a Flash or video or audio requires only
inserting a single object into the PDF document and the PDF container has
various players that allow them to be played in the content.

In contrast, A PDF RichMedia annotation is normally a set of "files" all
stored and referenced internally within the PDF. For instance, you could
insert a SWF application that generates charts from our partner AnyChart
(http://www.anychart.com) and then the data that "feeds" the chart can come
from either inside the PDF, or could be served from a URL if the user allows
the PDF to contact the web to "update" itself. We have various applications
that do this, think of a stock portfolio report that updates itself with all
the pretty charts everytime you open it. I have also seen 3d models used in
this way, embedding a 3d viewer and the 3d model of the product. Typically
again this is Flash but I think there are other non-Flash based viewers
around.

Kevin Brown