[xep-support] Re: Section 508 accessibility compliance

Michael Sulyaev msulyaev at renderx.com
Thu Sep 8 04:32:24 PDT 2011

On 09/08/2011 01:34 AM, Daniel Boughton wrote:
> Are there any plans for enabling the "tagged" PDF format, currently set
> through the PDF core setting ENABLE_ACCESSIBILITY, as a processing
> instruction?  We need the ability to turn this on/off, on a per document
> basis.  Some customers/documents need it, some don't.

Hello Daniel,

"Tagged PDF" feature requires some extra information to be gathered
during the core rendering stage and passed to the PDF generation stage.
The core code does not depend on the output format or output settings,
it actually does not even know the target output format. This way an
instance of XEP can be used concurrently to produce different outputs.

ENABLE_ACCESSIBILITY is a core option (not one of the PDF generator),
and it needs to remain this way, due to the reasons mentioned above.
Rendering with this option turned on is slightly slower than regular
processing.

So, the answer is: no, we may not change this behavior with current
architecture of the software.

However, this should not be a problem at all, as I see it. No matter how
you use XEP, you can always have two different instances of XEP running
with different configurations: one for "tagged PDF", another for regular
processing. Instead of injecting a processing instruction you can just
choose the instance you need.

Regards,
Michael Sulyaev