[xep-support] Re: error: formatting failed: com.renderx.pdflib.PDFException: Pdflib internal error. Broken xref. Please report to manufacturer!.

Alexey Gagarinov agagarinov at renderx.com
Tue May 31 06:31:35 PDT 2011

François,

> Would it be possible to at least hint at what those broken xrefs are, so
> that one has a fighting chance to fix or remove them? The error message
> "Pdflib internal error. Broken xref. Please report to manufacturer!." is
> quite unhelpful.

Disagree.

The error message is not user friendly, but helpful:
1) it says what to do -- "please report to manufacturer".
2) it says it's unexpected behavior -- "internal error".

A user friendly error message also says where the cause of the problem
is (in user's input).

We do have plans to implement such an "error feedback" mechanism.

> Was this ever resolved? I have the same problem now with 4.18 or 4.19
> and ENABLE_ACCESSIBILITY turned on (which I need, turning it off not
> really an option).

The main cause of "Pdflib internal error. Broken xref ..." is an error
in input PDF image. Different PDF images contains different errors.
The exception means that one of them is uncaught in XEP.

So this internal error describes the whole class of possible issues, not
a single bug in XEP.

> I found an old thread from 2003 on this list where the same issue seemed
> to have been fixed by a new release. I was hoping to see the same now,
> which is why I tried 4.19. No luck.

The standard receipt here: please send the problematic XSL-FO file along
with images and XEP configuration file (xep.xml) to support at renderx.com
and we will try to find out a reason of the problem and to fix it.

With best regards,
   Alexey Gagarinov
RenderX
---