[xep-support] ePUB

Werner Donné werner.donne at re.be
Wed Feb 17 06:42:04 PST 2010

Hi Greg,

Generating ePub from either PDF or XSL-FO will never produce optimal results. It is true you could flow the text in them on an eReader. You can even create a layout that comes close using CSS. The problem, however, is that for a good eReader-experience you need structure and navigation information. The chapter headings, for example, can be used to generate the NCX navigation table in ePub, but how can you tell what is a chapter heading in PDF or XSL-FO?

You also need semantic information to cut up a large document into parts, because otherwise the eReader will choke on it.

If I understand it correctly you would like to recover the effort you put in producing the formatting in XSL-FO. You could transform XSL-FO to XHTML, ignoring unsupported constructs. Formatting properties can be translated to CSS-properties in a "style" attribute. Properties for which there is no equivalent in CSS are simply dropped. The result will be a document containing a lot of "div", "span", "table", "img" and "a" elements and not much more. In order to obtain a navigation structure you can place ID-attributes on the fo:block elements that correspond to the chapters or sections in the original document. Your chapter structure would be encoded in those IDs.

Best regards,

Werner.

--
http://www.pincette.biz/
Handling your documents with care, wherever you are.