[xep-support] Requests for version 4.17

daniel.r.boughton at rrd.com daniel.r.boughton at rrd.com
Mon Jun 29 07:00:04 PDT 2009

My personal pick for version 4.17 would be table markers.  We currently
generate reports that are grouped, and our customers require that we add
the word "(continued)" to the group heading when it spans more that one
page.  For example we may have a report that is grouped by state.  The
column headings are displayed by an outer table, and each state is a
separate table embedded within the first table.  The column heading for
the embedded table is the state name which spans all columns.  If the data
for Alabama spanned more that one page, the heading on the first page
would be "Alabama" and "Alabama (continued)" on all subsequent pages.

We are currently handling adding the "continued" using rx:pinpoint and
xslt that gets run on the XEP intermediate format.  Although this solution
works, it is not pretty.  There are instances where I have to change font
characteristics (family, size, weight, color...) and then make sure to
change them back before moving on.  And the way that rx:pinpoint works is
confusing.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the values that are
assigned to x and y.  It would be really nice if the values of x and y
were related to the <xep:text> elements that reside in the same fo:block
as the rx;pinpoint.

In this case it would be helpful if x and y matched the x and y values of
the first xep:text element that follows the xep:pinpoint.
<fo:block>
        <rx:pinpoint value="{text()}"/>
        <xsl:value-of select="text()"/>
</fo:block>

In this case it would be helpful if x and y pointed to the end of the
previous xep:text element  (x + width).  This would be the position at
which you could start appending new text.
<fo:block>
        <xsl:value-of select="text()"/>
        <rx:pinpoint value="{text()}"/>
</fo:block>