[xep-support] Two up continuous

Kevin Brown kevin at renderx.com
Wed Jun 24 14:41:19 PDT 2009

Robert:

> I would certainly add my vote to the svg enhancements with textPath
being highest on the list and filter effects (esp. for drop-shadows)
high up there as well.

Noted.

> I'd also add my vote to any more integrated
means of producing PDF forms.

How about a complete way? RenderX 4.16 which will be released in a few weeks time will include support for PDF Acroforms. It was the major feature coming in this release. It will be a new licensed item ($) above standard XEP.

Form elements include textboxes (text, password and multiline), checkboxes, select lists, comboboxes, hidden fields, radios and other form elements like submit buttons and reset. A PDF Form element will be allowed within any fo:inline (of a fixed size of course) or fo:block-container and is done through rx:pdf-form-field elements, attributes and child elements like:

<fo:block space-after="10pt" font-size="10pt">Form fields can even exist in-line with
          <fo:inline font-size="12pt">
          <rx:pdf-form-field name="inline1" font-size="10pt">
            <rx:pdf-form-field-text text="flowing content"/>
          </rx:pdf-form-field>
          <fo:leader leader-length="1in"/>
        </fo:inline>. This includes all kinds of widgets like <fo:inline>
          <rx:pdf-form-field name="inline2" font-size="9pt">
            <rx:pdf-form-field-combobox background-color="#9999ff">
              <rx:pdf-form-field-option text="text boxes"/>
              <rx:pdf-form-field-option text="passwords"/>
              <rx:pdf-form-field-option text="option lists" is-default="true"/>
              <rx:pdf-form-field-option text="checkboxes"/>
              <rx:pdf-form-field-option text="radios"/>
            </rx:pdf-form-field-combobox>
          </rx:pdf-form-field>
          <fo:leader leader-length=".8in"/>
        </fo:inline> and <fo:inline>
          <rx:pdf-form-field name="inline3">
            <rx:pdf-form-field-checkbox background-color="#9999ff" font-family="ZapfDingbats">
              <rx:pdf-form-field-option text="✓" is-default="true"/>
              <rx:pdf-form-field-option text="!"/>
            </rx:pdf-form-field-checkbox>
          </rx:pdf-form-field>
          <fo:leader leader-length="10pt"/>
        </fo:inline> Checkboxes. </fo:block>

I would be more than happy to send everyone a sample form who asks, just send me an email and I'll generate a custom form just for you that you can examine.

> I'd like to see background
scale-to-fit (esp. for svg files and other vector formats) on elements

This should have been supported already. It was flagged as an issue and fixed already for the next release.

> font-size to allow scale-to-
fit within bounds (e.g. rx:font-size-min, rx:font-size-max and font-
size="scale-to-fit" or font-size="auto")

I will have to think that one through. I can see how things would work in absolute sized blocks but would take some serious thinking.

*One crucial note to make in our (my) decision process is impact on performance. We have to keep in mind that we serve two audiences -- ones that care about extreme performance and ability to format 100,000s documents in short periods of time (phone bills, 401K statements, etc.) and other that do high-quality books, manuals, newsletters, etc. We have to balance the best we can do without impacting performance.

>flowing between blocks in an 'indesign' manner so that
content that overflows one block can continue to flow into a specified
further block.

This is in XSL FO 1.1 and one of the few features we have not implemented in XEP. While it remains on the list, it will not be in the 4x chain. Our unreleased formatting engine DiType supports such things. Any licensed user of XEP is welcome to use DiType as is in an unsupported state.

Kevin