[xep-support] Re: XEP/PostScript Inline Image Proposal

Michael Sulyaev msulyaev at renderx.com
Tue Jan 13 07:26:51 PST 2009

Christian Kriebel wrote:
> I would like to ask you to verify the proposal below. We face the
> issue described there at a number of customers. We could offer you
> that we make the necessary modifications on the xep source but ask
> you to incorporate it into an official release of xep.
>
> Would this or a similar approach work for you ?

Hello Christian,

It's a great pleasure for me to answer this question: I believe we
already have the required changes released in XEP 4.14.

The new feature called "Image Inline Threshold"
(http://www.renderx.com/reference.html#Image_Inline_Threshold) is
available as a processing instruction
<?xep-postscript-image-inline-threshold value?> and as the PS generator
option (xep.xml, system property, API).

I believe the design of this feature is a generalization of all options
in your suggested solution (except the last one). The meaning of the
option value is:
   If an image appears in the document more than n times, it goes to
Document Setup.
   If an image appears n times or less, it is placed in Page Setup on
the page(s) where it is used.
   The default value 0 makes all images be in Document Setup section.
This is the old behaviour, equivalent to the absence of this option.
   The value -1 makes all images be in Page Setup section.

I hope this option will be sufficient to resolve the issues you describe.

Regards,
Michael Sulyaev