[xep-support] Incorrect page margins when writing-mode="rl-tb"

Bob Stayton bobs at sagehill.net
Tue Apr 21 09:13:38 PDT 2009

Hi Ben,
Actually, I think that note in Section 6.4.13 reinforces my point rather than contradicts it.  Perhaps my example was confusing because I switched two things.  I switched both the writing mode and the margins.  If I had switched just writing mode the effect would be more obvious.

The problem in XEP is that when writing-mode="rl-tb", then "margin-left" incorrectly appears on the right side of the page.  My reading of the spec in both sections is that "left" means "left", and is not dependent on the writing mode.  It is the "start" properties mean "left" or "right" depending on the writing-mode.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs at sagehill.net