[xep-support] Changebars - misleading warning

Michael Sulyaev msulyaev at renderx.com
Tue Apr 21 07:03:40 PDT 2009

Jan Tošovský wrote:
> if there are used changebars for text of table header and this table is
> too long and splitted into several parts and corresponding table header
> is repeated on every page, we get the following warning:
> change-bar-begin element of class "d0t4466" appeared after
> change-bar-end and was ignored. I understand what is going on, but
> warning in this case could be skipped as in XSL-FO source everything is Ok.

Hello Jan,

It would be wise to put weakly connected atomic elements (such as
change-bar-begin and it's matching change-bar-end) both inside one and
the same row group (table-header, table-footer, table-body). The header
and the footer are apparently repeated along with their content and thus
more instances of the same change bar elements are born. If they always
are kept together in the same row group, there should be nothing wrong.
I believe you have a begin in the header, and an end outside of the
header. Is this correct? I'd appreciate a short example.

This is arguable that everything is OK in your XSL-FO source (if my
assumption is correct). You can "expand" repeatable elements (header and
footer), receiving an "equivalent" FO source. However, there may appear
unpaired change bar elements, and this is why the warning is issued.

Regards,
Michael Sulyaev