[xep-support] External Links in generated PDF files does not behave as links in Acrobat Standard

Alejandro Masino amasino at atsec.com
Wed Apr 15 00:18:53 PDT 2009

Hi all:

Is there any way in XSLFO + XEP to have the same behavior as in Acrobat
Standard (version 7.0) when an external link is added to text? For
example, if I add a link in Acrobat Standard, when I click the text the
external application associated with the file extension of the link file
is opened. However, if I add an external link as follows:

<fo:basic-link color="blue" text-decoration="underline"
                                        show-destination="new"

external-destination="url(file:mydir/myfile.txt)">Please click
here</fo:basic-link>

the myfile.txt is converted into PDF and then shown in a new Acrobat
window. This is transparent when external files have the pdf extension,
but conversion happens with .doc and .txt files (does not happen with
Excel sheets, though).

If I take the "file:" prefix, then the files are appended at the end of
the document in the same window.

The XEP guide clarifies in an external-destination footnote that:

    In PDF and PostScript generators, URLs starting with explicit
|"file:"| protocol specification are rendered as PDF-to-PDF links
("remote go-to actions"). All other links are treated as Internet URIs,
and open in a browser^

so I'm afraid this is a limitation in XEP. Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks,
Alejandro
^

Alejandro Fabio Masino