[xep-support] Re: [docbook-apps] LaTeX + formulas & equations + graphics --> Dokbook + MathML + SVG

Dave Pawson dave.pawson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 08:37:21 PDT 2008

Hi David.

2008/10/20 David Tolpin <david.tolpin.xepng at gmail.com>:

>> 1. Set the hyphenation-remain-character-count to 3 at the root level,
>
> If one feels that 2 characters is too little, than setting the above
> to 3 will fix. If 2 is good but some words are mishyphenated, then it
> is worthwhile to play with the exception list.

> That definitely is not relevant these days, a full dictionary would do
> much better, but few bother. If you think that TeX hyphenation points
> are good enough, than XEP's are as good. A cheap way to improve is to
> add exceptions to the pattern file.

What are these files called please?
I found <installDirectory>/hyphen/ukhyphen.tex  with entries such as

ab3use
ab3usi
2aby
ac2a

So these are 'words' which should *not* be hyphenated?

There is also (bottom of the file)

\hyphenation{ % Do NOT make any alterations to this list! --- DW
uni-ver-sity
uni-ver-sit-ies
how-ever
ma-nu-script
ma-nu-scripts
re-ci-pro-city
through-out
some-thing}

Are these a 'specific' way to hyphenate some words?
But we shouldn't change these?

Is this the 'patterns' file? or is there another file in use as well?

>> Then you mention
>> "mark up file names using a markup for which hyphenation is disabled"
>> Is this
>> <fo:block hyphenate='false'>  filename content</
>>
>> to ensure these remain together?
>
> Norm Walsh's docbook stylesheets go further than that, they allow
> breaking file names on slashes without the hyphenation sign.

OK, but for 'plain' xsl-fo, we should use hyphenate='false' to
stop hyphenation? Is that right?

regards

--
Dave Pawson