[xep-support] Embedded SVG Error

Hood, Earl earl.hood at hp.com
Fri May 23 07:39:58 PDT 2008

> I am dynamically changing text in the SVG file during an XSLT
> conversion so I can't really call an external graphic unless
> possibly I could put an SVG layer on top of a JPG.  I would
> have to do some research to see if that is doable.

Are you trying to change what looks like "text" in the raster
data itself?

If not, I'm not sure what the problem is since I lack information
on what you are doing, but it appears a basic pass over the
data can be done to convert any embeded raster data in the
SVG into an external reference, or make the entire SVG an
external reference.

This pass can be done outside of XSLT.

If for whatever reason you can only work within the XSLT context,
you can hook in extensions to do what you want.  If using something
like Saxon, Java routines can be developed to do the work which
can then be called.  I've had to do this when I needed to be able
to do basic file operations during XSLT processing (e.g. making
directories, copy files, etc.)

Also, to verify XEP behavior, you can do some hand tests of
things just to see if "externalizing" the data will actually
give you the results you desire.  I'd do this exercise first
to see if doing any of the other stuff is worth the effort.

--ewh