[xep-support] Hungarian Hyphenation Does Not Work

Alexei Gagarinov agagarinov at renderx.com
Thu Jun 19 05:46:46 PDT 2008

Hi Tom,

> Meanwhile, with the help from my hungarian translators, I've found the
> following solution:
>
> 1. Normally, everybody would download the file huhyphn.tex[1] from CTAN.
> But this file does NOT work. I don't know why, but I suspect some
> encoding mismatch or the like.

XEP supports only \patterns and \hyphenation sections within the
hyphenation patterns.

All other sections are skipped.

(The huhyphn.tex is wrapped into \begingroup, \endgroup pair)

> 2. Download the file hyph_hu.dic[2] from the same directory.
>
> 3. Modify the file and add the hyphenation pattern inside a
>    \patterns{ ... }
>
> 3. Save the file as huhyphn.tex in your hyphen directory.
>
> 4. Modify the XEP configuration file and insert the following lines
>    in the language section:
>     <language name="Hungarian" codes="hu hun">
>        <hyphenation pattern="huhyph.tex" encoding="ISO-8859-2"/>
>     </language>
>
> At least that improves the hyphenation significantly, according to my
> translators. The only thing that scares me a bit is its file size: 120
> KBytes in comparision with the original one 92 Kbyte. Maybe this can
> somehow reduced to a more resonable size.

I think 30k of disk space for the "static" external file is not worth to
worry about. :)

> I found this solution only by accident.

Yes, it's not an obvious solution.
I haven't hear about a dictionary with patterns for Hungarian before.

Thanks for finding this out.

> It would be very helpful, if RenderX could provide more hyphenation pattern
> files for other languages.

We will consider this as a request for enhancement.

I understand that this sounds too formal, but I cannot promise you
concrete steps right now.

Bets regards,
   Alexei Gagarinov
RenderX