[xep-support] block containers and columns

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Tue Jan 15 09:38:28 PST 2008

At 2008-01-15 16:36 +0000, Robert Goldsmith wrote:
>So no ideas on this then? Anyone?
>>I'm trying to generate layout for labels and have setup an A4 page
>>with 2 columns and then a block-container for each label, expecting
>>the containers to flow down column one, then down column two of each
>>page before then moving onto a new page.
>>The problem is that, while on the last page everything behaves as
>>expected, on every other proceeding page XEP only fills the first
>>column.
>>
>>Can someone please tell me what I'm missing and why this is happening?

Using XEP 4.10 build 20070727 I'm getting labels on both sides of the
page on all pages up to the last page, and the expected partial page
on the last page.

I don't see anything wrong.

I hope this helps.

. . . . . . . . . . . Ken

p.s. in my label-printing XML/XSLT/XSL-FO application I populate
labels from the bottom of the page to the top of the page ... that
way if I only use the last two labels on the page, I can feed the
used page through the printer again and the strength of the remaining
labels at the top pulls the empty part of the page at the bottom
through without a problem.  Since you are leaving blank labels at the
bottom of the page, once you remove the used labels from the top you
may experience printer feed problems (as I did) because of the
weakness of the portion of the page without labels.

p.p.s. I populate my labels with absolutely-positioned block
containers, and I feed label counts, gap dimensions and page
dimensions through command-line parameters ... this allows me to use
one stylesheet for name badges or shipping labels or any label of any
dimension

--
Comprehensive in-depth XSLT2/XSL-FO1.1 classes: Austin TX,Jan-2008
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com