[xep-support] Cross references to figures generates question marks

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Fri Sep 28 23:24:59 PDT 2007

At 2007-09-28 16:24 -0400, Mark Lautman wrote:
>I'm creating cross references to a heading and a figure. The xrefs
>to the headings work, but not to the figures.
>
>In the XML file I have

><Heading1 id="second_heading">Installation</Heading1>
><figure src="browser_settings.tif" id="browser_settings"/>
>
>In the XSL file I have
>
>  <xsl:template match="heading_link">
>  <xsl:template match="figure_link">
>Result:
>See the section on page 3.
>See the figure on page ?.
>3) The engine gives the following mesasge: unresolved internal
>destination: 'browser_settings'

What you are not showing is the template match="figure" ... that is
where your problem is ... you are not seeding the area tree with an
id= that can be resolved.

Review your template match for figure and add id= to the one of the
areas you create that makes sense for your situation.

>This is for an unstructured XML file (no DTD).

Thankfully, that is irrelevant if you are using key().  If you are
using id() then it is relevant and you can use:

    <!DOCTYPE doc
    [
    <!ATTLIST Heading1 id ID #IMPLIED>
    <!ATTLIST figure id ID #IMPLIED>
    ]>
    <doc>

There is no need to have a *complete* DTD to use the id() function;
just the ATTLIST declarations are sufficient.

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming public training: UBL and code lists Oct 1/5; Madrid Spain
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com