[xep-support] Forcing a character to behave like a space for breaking across lines in Table Cells.

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Tue Oct 9 11:42:26 PDT 2007

At 2007-10-09 10:36 -0700, Michaud, Jean-Francois wrote:
>I was wondering if anybody could help with a comma problem we are
>experiencing in PDF.
>
>It would seem that the RenderX engine, within a CELL, condenses a "word"
>in the available space instead of breaking gracefully across lines. In
>particular, we use part numbers that are separated by a comma only (not
>comma space) and the stream of letters (maybe 70 letters) is conden in a
>space of about 1 inch wide (it is of course unreadable).
>
>Is it possible to select certain characters where we want a break to
>occur? Or is a special implementation necessary to insert, for example,
>a no-width space where needed to force a break after the character we
>want to use as a line breaker (this is more processing intensive though
>and if there is a RenderX configuration solution, it would be ideal)?

I highly recommend using the no-width space approach because then you
get total control over where these get inserted.

Here is an example from my XSLT training class:

   - replace punctuation characters "[", "(", ".", ":", "/", "{" and
     "\" with itself followed by a Unicode zero-width space

I hope this helps.

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Male Cancer Awareness Jul'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc