[xep-support] Auto Number Footnotes

Teus Benschop teus at teusbenschop.nl
Tue Nov 13 09:47:51 PST 2007

The solution we used for this problem consisted of these steps.

- Where footnote callers come, both in the text body and at the bottom
of the page, use special characters instead of numbers, so as to be able
to find them again later on.

- Convert the xml to XEP intermediate format. On the commandline this
would be done by using the "-format xep" bit.

- Go through that intermediate format to find where the page starts
(<xep:page) and where it ends (</xep:page). Wherever the special
characters used in the first step are found, put sequential numbers instead.

- Convert the XEP intermediate format to the desired output format.

Regards,

Teus.