AW: AW: [xep-support] French hyphenation bug ?

Kurt Spescha kurt.spescha at consor.ch
Mon Jan 22 05:13:54 PST 2007

Jaques,

You find a short decription on this link (FOP has the same
hyphenation-patterns as RenderX).

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.20.5/hyphenation.html

non-numeric characters represent characters in a sub-word to be evaluated

the period character (.) represents a word boundary, i.e. either the
beginning or ending of a word

numeric characters represent a scoring system for indicating the
acceptability of a hyphen in this location.
-Odd numbers represent an acceptable location for a hyphen, with higher
values overriding lower inhibiting values.
-Even numbers indicate an unacceptable location, with higher values
overriding lower values indicating an acceptable position.
-A value of zero (inhibiting) is implied when there is no number present. G

Generally patterns are constructed so that valuse greater than 4 are rare.
Due to a bug currently patterns with values of 8 and greater don't have an
effect, so don't wonder.

Here are some examples from the English patterns file:
Knuth (The TeXBook, Appendix H) uses the example hach4, which indicates that
it is extremely undesirable to place a hyphen after the substring "hach",
for example in the word "toothach-es".
.leg5e indicates that "leg-e", when it occurs at the beginning of a word, is
a very good place to place a hyphen, if one is needed. Words like "leg-end"
and "leg-er-de-main" fit this pattern.

rgrds

Kurt Spescha
Consor AG, CH-8006 Zürich
+41 (0)44 368 35 44
+41 (0)76 560 66 89
kurt.spescha at consor.ch

************ BITTE BEACHTEN ************

Diese Nachricht (wie auch allfällige Anhänge dazu) beinhaltet möglicherweise
vertrauliche oder gesetzlich geschützte Daten oder Informationen. Zum
Empfang derselben ist (sind) ausschliesslich die genannte(n) Person(en)
bestimmt. Falls Sie diese Nachricht irrtümlicherweise erreicht hat, sind Sie
höflich gebeten, diese unter Ausschluss jeder Reproduktion zu zerstören und
die absendende Person umgehend zu benachrichtigen. Vielen Dank für Ihre
Hilfe.