[xep-support] involved xfers and codeblock line numbering

W. Eliot Kimber ekimber at innodata-isogen.com
Wed Jan 3 07:30:57 PST 2007

John Accardi wrote:
> Thanks, Eliot.
>
> These are very good ideas that I will try.

I looked into the available DITA constructs a bit more closely and I
think what you need is to specialize the "ph" (phrase) element to act as
a target for specific lines within "pre" and, possibly, to hold a label
for the line (where you are referring to arbitrary labels rather than
sequential line numbers). The existing xref element can then be used to
refer to the specialized ph element.

It does not appear that DITA has a built-in elements for this purpose.

Alternatively, you could specialize "ph" to hold an entire line and,
possibly, bind a label to the line content as a subelement. I've used
this type of markup in DTDs in the past and it works pretty well. But
since new lines are reliable in XML you don't absolutely need to have a
wrapper for the lines in order to do what you need to do, at least using
XSLT.

Cheers,

Eliot

--