[xep-support] Tab Stops

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Mon Dec 17 07:58:38 PST 2007

At 2007-12-17 09:58 -0500, Owens, Stephen P wrote:
>I know that there is no notion of a tab stop in XSL-FO, but I was
>wondering if RenderX had some sort of extension to support tab stops the
>way they work in word.  For example if I have a tab character at say
>1.25 inches from the left, and tab stops are set at every half inch,
>then the character following the TAB should appear at 1.5 inches from
>the left.
>
>Is this possible or is there definitely no way to make this work with
>RenderX?

What is your layout requirement?  I don't mean in terms of tabs, but
what is it about having a tab stop that gives you what you want?

For example, if all you are doing is a hanging indent and you need
content on the first line to line up, then the Word way of doing it
is with a tab but the XSL-FO way of doing it is with an
inline-container or side float or list construct.

Perhaps if you described your requirement in layout terms, then you
wouldn't be trying to shoehorn a non-layout construct into a layout language.

It is not uncommon for new users of XSL-FO to latch on to familiar
concepts rather than view their requirement from a different perspective.

I hope this helps.

--
Comprehensive in-depth XSLT2/XSL-FO1.1 classes: Austin TX,Jan-2008
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com