[xep-support] XEP and italic font-style

Hood, Earl earl.hood at hp.com
Wed Dec 12 15:53:06 PST 2007

I'm using XEP 4.7.

I have a Chinese document where some characters get rendered
in italic, even though I have not registered a font file for
font-style italic.  It is my understanding that if XEP encounters
a font-style of italic in FO, but no italic font has been registered
for the active font-family, it would fallback to the normal/roman
typeface.

Is XEP performing an auto-slanting of the font?  Does the
TrueType format allow a font to include italic/slant information,
even if the main glyph metrics are normal/roman?

Note, when I explictly register the font-style italic in xep.xml
(using the same file for normal style registration), the italics
disappear.  For example:

When the style="italic" definitions are removed, XEP somehow
manages to italicize text.

--ewh

--
Earl Hood