[xep-support] recto/verso vs odd/even

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Thu Aug 30 07:34:33 PDT 2007

At 2007-08-30 14:20 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
>On 30/08/2007, G. Ken Holman <gkholman at cranesoftwrights.com> wrote:
> > It is really missing in the XSL specification.
> > I understand that is your requirement, but FO 1.1 section 6.4.12
> > explicitly states:
> >
> >    The sub-condition corresponding to the odd-or-even trait is true if
> >    the value of the odd-or-even trait is "any" or if the value matches
> >    the parity of the page number of the page generated using the
> >    fo:conditional-page-master-reference.
> >
> > Therefore you can only test on page number parity and not on recto/verso.
>
>Is this a case of interpretation Ken?
>I'd map (possibly too simplistically) from recto verso to odd even?
>
>Or are my assumptions too much?

I don't think it is a case of interpretation.

You are asking if XSL-FO has a test for recto/verso and I'm quoting
that the specification only has a test for page parity odd/even.

I tell my students that in typical publications they would get the
effect of recto/verso by triggering different page geometries based
on the page parity ... so, I agree, that is a simplistic
interpretation, but it works for typical publications.

I wouldn't call your requirement "typical".  You are explicitly
allowing an odd page number on verso, so you need an explicit
recto/verso test instead of an implicit page parity test.  Such an
explicit recto/verso test is not available in XSL-FO 1.1.

I don't think that's interpretive ... it seems quite objective to
me.  I don't think what you need is available.  I didn't answer your
question earlier in case someone on the committee or elsewhere knew
something I didn't know, but in all my teaching I haven't found any
explicit implementation of recto/verso, only an implicit
implementation through the use of page parity.

--
Upcoming public training: XSLT/XSL-FO Sep 10, UBL/code lists Oct 1
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com