[xep-support] cover pages front and back

mdamkier at versant.com mdamkier at versant.com
Mon Apr 2 02:59:23 PDT 2007

Hi all,
Thanks for your input. I do realize that this is not a XML/XSL thing but
rather a PDF thing. That's why I asked here at XEP. I was thinking that
there may be an XEP option that would simply tack on a front and back
cover. It can be done with PDF scripting, I suppose, but would be cool if
were part of the XEP processing.
-- Michael

Michael Damkier
mdamkier at versant.com

Versant GmbH is incorporated in Germany.
Company registration number: HRB 54723, Amtsgericht Hamburg.
Registered Office: Wiesenkamp 22b, 22359 Hamburg, Germany.
Geschäftsführer: Jochen Witte.

Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu>
Sent by: owner-xep-support at renderx.com
30.03.2007 20:35
Please respond to
xep-support at renderx.com

docbook-apps at lists.oasis-open.org
cc
xep-support at renderx.com
Subject
Re: [xep-support] cover pages front and back

Bob Stayton wrote:
> Hello,
> The DocBook XSL stylesheets currently don't provide direct support for
> covers, only front title pages.  Covers can come in a variety of
> configurations, such as single-sheet for front and back, wrap-around
> with spine, or wrap-around without spine for saddle stitch.  Text
> placement and graphics are highly individual, so it is hard to write a
> general-purpose stylesheet for all possible designs.  Also, cover
> PDFs are often produced separately because their production process
> (color, heavier stock) may differ from the process for the book block.

While I agree with all that, it would still be very useful if there were
some way to automatically stitch a cover provided from another source
together with the DocBook XSL output; ideally without mucking up the
page counts either. I.e. assume I have one of these:

1. A PDF or other graphic wrap around cover generated from another program
2. Separate graphic covers fro front and back and spine
3. An XML source document along with my own stylesheet to generate the
covers in XSL-FO

Given one of those three inputs, would it be possible to somehow
parameterize the DocBook XSL stylesheets so it could add extra pages for
the front and back covers and pull in the external PDF (or GIF/PNG/etc.)
  to make "covers" in the PDF?

I know we can;t do that now, but would this much be hard to add?

Also is there any sort of de facto standard for where the covers appear
in pure PDF? e.g. if I buy a Pragmatics or O'Reilly or APress eBook, are
the covers in the PDF I buy and if so where?

 From a quick scan of the few such PDF books I have handy, it seems the
front cover is included as a graphic on the first page. The back cover
and spine are not included.

If nothing else, this is actually quite useful for Finder previews in
Mac OS X.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!
http://www.renderx.com/terms-of-service.html