[xep-support] images performance issue

Janean Angeles janeana at wirestone.com
Wed Sep 27 07:57:33 PDT 2006

I found significant speed benefits when increasing the amount of memory
assigned to the java process.  I've set my xep.bat file to:

if x%OS%==xWindows_NT goto WINNT
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\java" -Xmx512m -classpath "%CP%"
com.renderx.xep.XSLDriver "-DCONFIG=C:\Program
Files\RenderX\XEP\xep.xml" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
goto END

:WINNT
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\java" -Xmx512m -classpath "%CP%"
com.renderx.xep.XSLDriver "-DCONFIG=C:\Program
Files\RenderX\XEP\xep.xml" %*

My machine has 1gb or memory, but on a second machine which only had
512mb of ram I set it to 400m and it works fine and is just slightly
slower then the first machine.

The catalog I'm outputting is over 300pgs with tiff's and imbedded
fonts.  For both machines we currently have the images stored locally.
Average runtime is 30-60 seconds on first machine, 60-90 seconds on
second.

Don't know if that helps...

Janean T. Angeles
Application Developer