[xep-support] Using markers for headers

Dovid Zalkin dovid at tech-tav.com
Mon Sep 18 06:39:38 PDT 2006

Hi. I am creating a PDF document, in which the header of each page should be the name of the chapter, or section (of a chapter), or subsection which starts on that page. For example, if section 2.3 starts on page 17, then the header on page 17 should contain the name of section 2.3. Deeper sections are not displayed on the header. The problem is if there is no subsection starting on a particular page: the desired behavior in such a case would be for the name of the previous subsection to be displayed; however, what is actually displayed is the name of the chapter. The problem seems to be that if there is no marker which starts on the page then the marker reverts to the first marker in the page-sequence. This seems to be the proper behavior according to XSL-FO. What I want to know is if there is any way around this? Even though on each page I want the first marker defined on the page, when there is no marker defined on the page I want to use the last marker previously defined.
Thank you,

David Zalkin
Technology Consultant
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.