[xep-support] preventing line breaks before punctuation

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 00:07:09 PST 2006

Geoff Levner wrote:

> Adding functions to manipulate strings seems straightforward enough.
> But I don't see how you would handle the problem of spaces which might
> be separated from the punctuation by XML markup.  If anyone can give
> me a hint, I will be glad to give it a try...

http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#keep-together

/Value: / 	<keep> | inherit
/Initial: / 	.within-line=auto, .within-column=auto, .within-page=auto
/Applies to: / 	block-level formatting objects, inline formatting
objects, fo:table-caption, fo:table-row, fo:list-item,
fo:list-item-label, and fo:list-item-body
/Inherited: / 	yes
/Percentages: / 	N/A
/Media: / 	visual

I think that might help?