[xep-support] French hyphenation XEP 3 & XEP 4

Keith - Parenty Reitmeier, Inc. keith at parenty.mb.ca
Fri May 26 12:40:00 PDT 2006

Can someone explain why XEP versions 3.8.4 and 4.5 hyphenate the French
language differently even though they are using the same patterns file?
I wouldn't have a problem with this except that 4.5 seems to be
hyphenating more often, and in many cases improperly.

My only guess is that the implementation of hyphenation patterns in 4.5
is improved, but the patterns file always sucked. So that even though
it was hyphenating improperly when I was using 3.8.4, it wasn't as
noticeable because it was hyphenating less frequently.