[xep-support] "Filtered" Select and alternating background-color

Powell, Todd Todd.Powell at hq.doe.gov
Thu May 25 08:41:04 PDT 2006

Hi David,

> tail recursion is optimized into a loop by many XSLT implementations,
e.g.
> SAXON and XT; thus the stack does not grow and iterative alogithms are
as
> good when represented using recursion as if looping constructs were
used.

"tail recursion"?  Is this a particular type of recursive call in XSLT,
different from other types?

If I have the following, what's happening on the stack to prevent
stack-space issues?

<xsl:template match="ROOT">
	<xsl:apply-templates select="foo[1]"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="foo">
select="position()"/></p>

	<xsl:apply-templates select="following-sibling::foo"/>

select="position()"/></p>
</xsl:template>

Doesn't the parser need to keep track of all the matches for <foo>, so
it can spit out the "After..." stuff?  If I have 300,000 <foo> elements
to process, is there an issue?

- Todd