[xep-support] upgrading from xep3 to xep4 and font spaceing problem.

Michael Sulyaev msulyaev at renderx.com
Fri May 19 08:27:42 PDT 2006

Hello Sebastian,

Sebastian Boehm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought Xep3 a couple of years ago.
>
> Now I want to upgrade to Xep4.
>
> When I evaluated the trial version, i found that the font is spaced  (or
> shaped) differend in xep4.
>
> And it doesn't look good in xep4. Anybody knows the reason?
>
> (see the attached screenshots, look at the word "first"      )

The first glyph of the word 'first' in xep46.jpg is the 'fi' ligature.

Since version 4.0 XEP supports ligaturization. XEP uses ligatures from
the font file (that is, the ligatures designed by the font author),
though it has a mean to configure ligatures list in the configuration
file. The ligatures are designed by font authors to make text look
better; the most common ligatures are 'fi', 'fl', 'ffi' and 'ffl'.
You may turn off ligatures for a specific font-family by removing the
'ligatures' attribute from the corresponding 'font-family' element in
XEP configuration file.

--
Best regards,
  Michael Sulyaev, mailto:msulyaev at renderx.com