[xep-support] embedding fonts in PDF -- adding embed="true" seems not to work for base fonts!

Ron Catterall ron at catterall.net
Mon Mar 13 12:41:43 PST 2006

Patrick

This my (limited) experience with XEP 4.4 and Saxon 6.5.4  I've only
just joined this mailing list, so I didn't see your earlier post.  I
only downloaded XEP 4.5 yesterday, so I haven't tried that yet, but
it ought to work just the same (I hope!)

1. In your XSL customization layer you need to activate the XEP extensions with

<!-- activate XEP extensions -->
<xsl:param name="xep.extensions" select ="1" />

2. Then you need a file XEPconfig.xml in the same directory as your
other files containing

You need to specify the family name of the font you want, and where
the font is in your own filestore of course.  You will probably have
other stuff in the XEPconfig file.

3. using Saxon 6.5.4 you need the parameter
body.font.family set to 'Cardo'   (in my case)

4. There is also the parameter
title.font.family   which can be set separately (i.e. use different
fonts for titles and body.  These are both probably set to
'Sans-serif' by default.)

The fonts are then applied and visible when read with Adobe Reader 7.0.7

I suspect your problem is the Saxon parameter is missing - or
whatever is appropriate for your system - but if you get the font
family name wrong XEP4.4 doesn't complain and just drops back to the
default font.

Some fonts do not allow embedding, and XEP respects that prohibition.
I've no idea whether that applies to Helvetica.

Regards

Ron

Ron Catterall, Phd, DSc				email: ron at catterall.net
Prolongacion de Hidalgo 140				http://catterall.net/
San Felipe del Agua					tel: +52 951 520 1821
Oaxaca      68020	Mexico				fax: +1 530 348 8309