[xep-support] embedding fonts in PDF -- adding embed="true" seems not to work for base fonts!

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at internetbs.com
Mon Mar 13 07:34:16 PST 2006

In an earlier post I asked about embedding the Helvetica font into a pdf
document I'm creating with XEP 4.5.

No one responded to this, most likely because it was a simple case of
RTFM.  Or maybe not?  In the xep.xml I both changed the attribute in the
font group:

    <!-- Base Adobe fonts. -->

and in the Helvetica <font-family> tag:

but the font is still not being embedded!  When I pull up the document
on my Windows machine using Acrobat reader 7.0x and look at
File->Document Properties->Fonts, the ArialMT font is substituted instead.

Any idea what is going on?  The font is only being used in the ruler
function for line numbering, if this matters.

As an aside, I'm not even sure how the ruler font changed from the
document default, Garamond, to the xep.xml default, Helvetica; however
I'm aware that ruler comes with no support, so this is more a matter of
curiosity than anything else.