[xep-support] Full page background image

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Fri Jul 21 12:11:20 PDT 2006

At 2006-07-21 14:42 +0100, HUNTER, Bruce wrote:
>Sorry folks, false alarm. I found an article on
>the Yahoo fo list which explained how. Simply
>set the extent of the region-before to be the
>length of the page and then add the background
>image to that, as its not illegal to have
>overlapping regions. Simple when you know :-)

Maybe simple, but possibly misleading when you don't know the implications.

Your image might overwrite your body because your
recommended technique is not reliably portable
across different implementations:  the XSL-FO
specification does not mandate the z-level of
regions, nor will XSL-FO 1.1 give the user the ability to specify z-level:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2005AprJun/0029.html

So, based on the processor, you might have to put
your static content in the body region and try
and adjust your properties accordingly to flow
your paginated content into an overlapping
perimeter region ... probably not very straightforward.

I hope this helps.

--
Registration open for UBL training:    Montréal, Canada 2006-08-07
Also for XSL-FO/XSLT training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04