[xep-support] out of memory error, still trying

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Tue Jul 18 00:08:09 PDT 2006

On 18/7/06 7:34, M Giffin <mgiffin at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a 9-meg FO file that I am trying to use XEP (xep.bat command
> line) to make a PDF out of. It is to be a user guide, hundreds of
> pages long. I have used XSLT to combine a couple hundred XHTML files.
>
> XEP keeps stopping with 'Exception in thread "main"
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space'.
>
> I dug through xep-support archives and got the -Xmx switch, and added
> it to my xep.bat file, but it appears to make no difference, even
> when set to the max memory (500 meg and 1 gig, I tried two different pc's).

In the off-chance that you haven't specified -Xmx correctly (or in the right
place), can you watch the size of the Java program using Task Manager while
using both -Xmx settings? If Java reaches the same size in both cases before
stopping, then logically you aren't passing -Xmx properly.

Cheers,

Chris