[xep-support] path problems

Werner Donné werner.donne at re.be
Fri Feb 17 01:04:15 PST 2006

Patrick,

This is a relative URL that must be resolved into an absolute
one. By default, the URL of the document the relative URL resides in
is the base URL for the resolution. In your case this is the XSL-FO
document.

The exact rules governing this are described in the following short
document: http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlbase-20010627/.

Your XML document refers to a DTD through a document type declaration
at the beginning. It can have a PUBLIC identifier, a SYSTEM identifier
or both. A PUBLIC identifier should be resolved somehow to a physical
stream. If that doesn't turn up anything, the SYSTEM identifier is
tried as a default. This is typically a URL and it can be a relative
one. (Note that it could be anything you can also resolve into a stream
in your own resolver, as with the PUBLIC identifier, but let's assume
you don't.) If the SYSTEM identifier is relative it will be resolved
using the URL of your XML document as the base URL.

The same goes for references to style sheets within the document. If,
however, you have launched a programme to apply a style sheet to your
document, then the document and style sheet are not related, because
you will provide specific URLs for both of them and hence each has its
own base URL.

Regards,

Werner.

--