[xep-support] XEP for Win hot folder issues

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at internetbs.com
Tue Feb 7 08:53:58 PST 2006

I set up an ActiXEP hot folder which processes XML files; however, I get
the following error message:

   exception during formatting: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
unexpected character after document prolog (found "E") (expected "<")

However, the SAME XML file in the SAME location:

   1. validates
   2. can be processed to produce a PDF file using xep.bat
   3. can be processed to produce a PDF file using XEP Assistant
   4. validates with 2 other independent validators, one on a linux server.

A different file produces the same error with a different letter in
place of "E".

ActiXEP seems to assume a DTD folder location:

   If I move the file and DTD directory around so that the DTD directory
is a subdirectory of the directory containing the XML (with
  <!DOCTYPE blue_book SYSTEM "DTD/blue_book.dtd">

I get a different error message:

Could not find part of the path "D:\xml\The Blue
Book\xml\DTD\DTD\blue_book.dtd".

If I remove DTD from the DOCTYPE path, the previous error returns.

Is ActiXEP confused by directories whose names contain spaces?