[xep-support] RE: Cocoon Serializer PDF image problem

Jerry Janofsky JanofskyJ at comcast.net
Tue Dec 26 14:13:19 PST 2006

I'm posting this again with hope that someone can help me with my problem.

I am using the XEP to generate PDF documents with some jpg images in them.
XEP is being called from Apache Cocoon using the Cocoon Serializer provided
by RenderX. XSL-FO is generated in the Cocoon pipeline and is them applied
to the serializer. Below is an example of a FO Block used to generate an
image.

<fo:block>
   <fo:external-graphic content-width="1.0in"
src="url(http://localhost/ImagePath/ImageName1.jpg)" border="1pt solid
black"/>
</fo:block>

The PDF document gets generated perfectly fine most of the time. However, if
I generate a PDF and then generate the PDF again with an image of a
different size, the PDF that gets generated will have an invalid image (all
scrambled or I get an error when the pdf is opened with Acrobat Viewer).

I believe the problem is occurring because there is some kind of caching
occurring in the XEP Cocoon Serializer. There may be a way for me to disable
the caching for this serializer, however, I don't know how to do it.  Can
someone tell me how or suggest another reason for my problem? This problem
does not occur if I use XEP from a command line.

Below is XML showing the serializer map I am using.

<map:serializers default="html">

  <map:serializer mime-type="application/pdf" name="fo2pdf"
src="com.renderx.xepx.cocoon.Serializer">

  <parameter name="com.renderx.xep.CONFIG" type="string" value="/Program
Files/RenderX/XEP/xep.xml"/>

  </map:serializer>

</map:serializers>

Jerry J