[xep-support] Fonts encoding

Chris Chiasson chris at chiasson.name
Mon Dec 18 06:32:29 PST 2006

Well, Unicode is, AFAIK, a superset of ANSI. The encoding is a map
between a character code and the actual glyph used to render that
character on screen. Fonts can be encoded in different ways. I have
seen some fonts simply numbered from start to finish with their glyphs
referenced simply by their order in the font file (like the
Mathematica fonts). I wonder if that is what is meant by Identity-H.

aside:

XEP can't use Mathematica fonts because it needs Unicode encoded True
Type fonts. I also tried to get the Type 1  -- I believe the Type 1
font glyphs can be referenced by glyph name instead of just character
code -- version of the Mathematica fonts to work, but had no luck.