[xep-support] centered tables

Michael Sulyaev msulyaev at renderx.com
Tue Aug 29 04:00:30 PDT 2006

Ettinger, Christian wrote:
> But isn't there a better way to align a table? Maybe XEP is
> misbehaving on this issue? I'm sure the FO authors thought about this
> thing. Does anybody out there have a better solution than to use a
> table to align a table?

Hello Christian,

The proper way to center a table is to wrap it into a table-and-caption
with text-align="center". See "6.7.2 fo:table-and-caption
[http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice6.html#fo_table-and-caption]".
The spec says "The children of the areas generated by the
fo:table-and-caption are one or two areas; one for the table caption and
one for the table itself. These are positioned relative to each other as
specified by the caption-side trait. They are placed relative to the
content-rectangle of the generated area as specified by the text-align
trait."

Currently, XEP does not support this special meaning of @text-align, but
the next generation of RenderX products will support it.

  Michael Sulyaev, mailto:msulyaev at renderx.com